Bats – Removal, Control, Trapping and Management in Roanoke Virginia (540) 613-1390
We are contacted daily by potential customers in Roanoke Virginia stating, “I have bats in my attic, how do I remove bats in my attic?” or “I have bats in my gable end vents, how do I remove bats in my vents?” Roanoke Virginia bat removal services in VA is a responsibility that we don’t take lightly, whether it’s a bat in your house, bats in your attic or bats in the gable end vents of your home. While the internet is a wonderful thing, it is full of a lot of misinformation when it comes to the process of bat remediation. Bat removal should not be conducted by those that lack proper training or do-it-yourselfers (DIY).
Bats can sometimes get a bad reputation, but before we judge them, here are three really big benefits that bats provide:
- They eat millions and millions of night-flying insects
- They help control agricultural pests – farmers love the work bats do!
- Bats help ensure production of seeds and fruit – again, the farmer’s friend!
- They improve genetic diversity
- If you love bananas, or avocados, or peaches, or cashews – thank bats. These foods depend on pollination by bats
- Bats help to restore lost or damaged rainforest
- They are more effective seed dispersers than birds
Bat Control – The Two Main Bat Species in Roanoke Virginia Homes
There are many different species of bats in Virginia, but there generally two different species that enter Virginia homes, the Little Brown Bat and the Big Brown Bat. But how to we tell them apart?
The little brown bat and the big brown bat are generally referred to as “house bats” and can typically be found in Roanoke, New River Valley, Lynchburg, Smith Mountain Lake, Salem and Surrounding Areas homes from mid-April through October. Occasionally, the big brown bat can be found in Roanoke Virginia buildings throughout the winter months, hibernating in walls, ceilings, attics, basements, soffits and under your home’s insulation. When both bat species is present, size can often be easiest characteristic in distinguishing the two species – big brown bats are generally more than twice the size of little brown bats.
Little Brown Bats – Their Characteristics
- Adult little brown bats are typically only 2.5 – 4 inches long from nose to tail, or about the size of an adult’s thumb.
- Their fur is uniformly dark brown and glossy on the back with slightly paler, grayish fur underneath.
- Their wing membranes are dark brown with a wingspan of about 8.5 – 11 inches.
- Little brown bat guano (poop) is about the size of a typical grain of uncooked rice. The big brown bat’s guano is larger.
Big Brown Bats – Their Characteristics
- Larger in size than little brown bats, about 4 – 5 inches in body length.
- They have a broader nose that stands out compared to that of the little brown bat.
- Their fur looks long and silky, and is usually chocolate brown in color.
- Their wing membranes, ears, feet and face are dark brown to blackish in color and they typically have a 11 – 13 inch wingspan.
Now that we know a little bit about the pesky critters that get into our home, let’s discuss others questions that often come up when considering bat removal in Richmond VA.
Virginia Bat Removal Cost
The first question we are often asked by potential customers is, What Does It Cost To Remove Bats in Roanoke Virginia?
The costs to remove bats in Roanoke Virginia varies. We tell potential customers that any wildlife removal company that gives you a price for bat removal over the telephone, without first seeing and inspecting your home, does not know what they are doing and you should not consider them to do your job. No two bat jobs are alike and there is no one size fits all approach. Things that we consider in pricing a bat job include:
- How are bats entering the structure?
- How many bat entry/exit locations are there?
- How accessible are the bat entry/exit locations?
- Are we going to need a man-lift or other specialized equipment to do your job?
- The overall condition of your home. Are there repairs that will have to be done before the bat removal process starts?
- What type of roof does your home have? Slate, metal and cedar shake are inherently more problematic.
- How steep is the roof on your home? This adds to the level of danger and difficulty.
- How much seal up and/or repairs is needed to ensure that bats don’t just relocate to another location on your home?
- How much bat guano (bat poop) will need to be removed?
- How accessible is the bat guano?
- Will insulation in your attic need to be removed and replaced?
- How accessible is the insulation in your home?
- What type of insulation does your home have? Is it a known carcinogen like vermiculite?
- How many bats are in your bat colony? How many bat colonies do you have? Is is a birthing colony? Are there baby bats present?
- Does your home have a bat bug involved? Will the bat bugs need to be exterminated?
- Is sanitation and disinfection of the affected area needed?
- Is deodorization of the affected area needed?
As you can see there is a lot that goes into the bat removal in Roanoke Virginia. That is why you should always consider hiring a professional bat removal company like us. All of our bat removal specialist are certified as NWCOA Bat Standards Compliant. There is nothing that is approved or legal to spray in your home to make bats leave and some bat species are protected by Federal and State law. Remember that cheaper is not always better.
Roanoke Virginia Bat Removal Do It Yourself Or VA Bat Extermination DIY
The internet is a wonderful thing, but there is a lot of misinformation on the internet concerning bat removal. The removal of bats from a home should never be done by a do-it-yourselfer (DIY). The process of removing bats can be complicated and problematic. Never hire a company to remove bats unless they have received formal training. Do it your self bat removal is never a good idea! As we often tell folks, “Sometimes a bat job done incorrectly is worse than doing nothing at all.” Also, since bats are good for the environment and may be protected by Federal and State laws you should never do a bat extermination.
Bat Removal Devices
There are many different bat removal devices that can be used in the bat remediation process. Unfortunately, the type of device used by professional bat removal experts is dictated by what we find during our bat inspection and assessment. The wrong type of device installed at an improper location or in an improper manner can be disastrous. Some of the devices used include bat traps, bat netting, bat vents, bat piped, and bat one-way doors to name a few.
Bat Removal Products
The removal of bats in Roanoke Virginia is a process best left to certified professionals. There are no bat removal products on the market that have been approved and shown to be effective. Some bat removal products may be hazardous to the bats and pose a significant health risk to you and your family. If there were bat removal products on the market that were proven to be safe and effective for bat removal we would be using the product ourselves. Again, there are no safe and effective bat removal products on the market!
Residential Bat Removal in Roanoke VA
We provide residential bat removal throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Some of our major coverage areas include: Roanoke Bat Removal, New River Valley Bat Removal, Lynchburg Bat Removal, Smith Mountain Lake Bat Removal, Salem Bat Removal, Southwest Virginia bat removal, Central Virginia bat removal, Tidewater bat removal, and Northern Virginia bat removal.
Commercial Bat Removal in Roanoke VA
We provide commercial bat removal throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. We have done bat removal work at schools, churches, hospitals and many other businesses. Some of our major coverage areas include: Roanoke Bat Removal, New River Valley Bat Removal, Lynchburg Bat Removal, Smith Mountain Lake Bat Removal, Salem Bat Removal, Southwest Virginia bat removal, Central Virginia bat removal, Tidewater bat removal, and Northern Virginia bat removal.
Bat Removal From House
Removing a bat from inside a house should be left to professionals like us. Many local Roanoke animal control officers will remove a bat from the living quarters of a home and submit the bat for rabies testing free of charge. If a bat gets in the living quarters of your home do not kill the bat – you may lose the ability to test it for rabies. Also, do not capture and release the bat outside – you will lose the ability to have the bat tested for rabies AND the bat will likely reenter the structure at its original entry point.
Bat exclusion is the process of keeping bats out of your home or business. Bats can enter an opening as small as 3/8 of an inch. To ensure bats do not reenter a structure all openings 3/8″ or larger must be sealed or repaired, but not before ensuring that the bats have first been removed.
There are no bat repellents that have been shown to be safe and effective. None have been approved for use.
Bats are good for the environment and should never be exterminated. Bat extermination may be illegal since many bats are protected by Federal and State laws.
How To Get Rid Of Bats
Getting rid of bats in Southwest Virginia is a process best left to a certified professional bat removal company in Roanoke. Do not hire a pest control company to remove bats. There is a difference in wildlife control and pest control. Ensure that any company removing bats from your home or business is certified as NWCOA Bat Compliant. It appears that Virginia is going to require this certification next year for anyone removing bats. Our technicians already have this certification!
Bat Control Devices
There are no devices that have been approved or shown effective for bat control.
Bat Control Products
There are no products that have been approved or shown effective for bat control. Many are unsafe and are illegal to use. Despite being unsafe, there are still many companies engaging in this illegal practice.
Like all animals bats have two basic needs, food and shelter. While in theory we are firm believers in bat houses, the truth is we have really seen very few bat houses that were occupied by bats. We can provide and install bat houses if you want, but based on our experience and observations we have not found them to be accepted by bats. Click here if you want to learn how to build a bat house –> How To Build A Bat House
Virginia Bat Control
There is really no way to control bats, but what we can do is get them out of your home and keep them from reentering through their original entry point. Our bat work is guaranteed.
Bat bug (Cimex pilosellus). Prior to the recent increase of bed bugs, the bat bug was the most common representative of this group of insects found within homes in Roanoke Virginia. Bat bugs develop in colonies of roosting bats, which sometimes occur in attics or behind walls of buildings. Bat bugs may move into human living areas and incidentally bite people, with such migrations particularly common when bats migrate or are eliminated from the building. However, in the absence of the bat hosts, these insects cannot sustain and reproduce.
Do You Exterminate Bats?
We do not exterminate bats. They’re good for the environment and exterminating them may be a violation of Federal and State laws since some bat species are protected. There are still many companies out there illegally exterminating bats and subjecting families to harmful chemicals. We never use chemicals in our remediation process.
Killing Bats In The House
You should never kill a bat that has entered the living quarters of your Roanoke home. Killing the bat may prevent the bat from being tested for rabies and may subject you and your family to expensive rabies shots. Instead of killing the bat call your local animal control officer. They usually work through your local Roanoke police department or Roanoke sheriffs’ office and can remove the bat and submit it for rabies testing free of charge. They are not wildlife specialists. There area of expertise is dog and cat removal.
Virginia Bat Removal Companies and Wildlife Control Technicians By Location
Listed are some of the areas in Virginia where we perform bat removal:
- Ashland, Virginia Bat Removal
- Bon Air, Virginia Bat Removal
- Central Virginia Bat Removal
- Charlottesville, Virginia Bat Removal
- Chesapeake, Virginia Bat Removal
- Chester, Virginia Bat Removal
- Chesterfield County, Virginia Bat Removal
- Glen Allen, Virginia Bat Removal
- Hampton, Virginia Bat Removal
- Henrico, Virginia Bat Removal
- Lynchburg, Virginia Bat Removal
- Mechanicsville, Virginia Bat Removal
- Midlothian, Virginia Bat Removal
- Newport News, Virginia Bat Removal
- Norfolk, Virginia Bat Removal
- Northern Virginia Bat Removal
- Richmond, Virginia Bat Removal
- Roanoke, Virginia Bat Removal
- Salem, Virginia Bat Removal
- Short Pump, Virginia Bat Removal
- Southwest Virginia Bat Removal
- Tidewater, Virginia Bat Removal
- VA Bat Removal
- Virginia Bat Removal
- Virginia Beach, Virginia Bat Removal
- Williamsburg, Virginia Bat Removal
- Yorktown, Virginia Bat Removal
Call us at (540) 613-1390 for a Virginia Bat Removal Specialist in your area. Don’t see your Virginia city, town or county listed for bat removal?
For information on how to build a bat house.
Please contact our local Roanoke office for bat removal in Virginia at (540) 613-1390. Our technicians would be happy to answer your questions. You may also visit us on the web at Wildlife Removal in Virginia or Richmond Animal Removal.